When we reach retirement, it can feel more important than ever to get those remaining items ticked off our bucket lists while we’re healthy and able to!
Our retirement years are a fantastic opportunity to fulfil those the dreams we’ve held for many years, but until now, perhaps haven’t had the time or sufficient finances to bring to fruition.
You may not have an official retirement bucket list written down – most of us probably don’t – but you may have a few places in mind that you’d still love to visit, experiences you haven’t had yet, and ambitions you would like to say that you’ve achieved.
Writing down your bucket list is a great way to put down on paper your hopes and dreams for your retirement years; it can really motivate you to make those things happen when you can see them in black and white.
If you’re looking for some inspiration, we’ve got a whole host of ideas for your ultimate retirement bucket list. Have a read through some of these ideas, combine them with your own, and discover what adventures are awaiting you!
The Ultimate Retirement Bucket List
- Go on a Caribbean cruise
- See the Northern Lights
- Spend more time with the grandchildren
- Rescue a shelter dog or cat
- Enter a sporting event for charity
- Grow vegetables / start an allotment
- Travel across Europe by car or caravan
- Witness a solar eclipse
- Fly in a helicopter
- Re-visit original honeymoon destinations
- Volunteer for charity
- Watch a sunset / sunrise
- Visit all seven continents
- Go on safari
- Learn a foreign language
- Try an extreme sport such as skydiving or paragliding
- Have afternoon tea at the Ritz
- See the Sphinx and the Great Pyramids
- Gamble in Las Vegas
- Learn to play the piano / other musical instrument
- Christmas shopping in New York
- Go horseback riding
- Have a spa day
- Take the grandchildren to Disneyland
- Donate blood
- Pass a skill or hobby of yours on to younger relatives
- Renew your wedding vows
- Whale and dolphin watching
- Book a trip on the Orient Express
- Visit distant friends or relatives
- Ride a camel
- See Stonehenge
- Take a canal trip in a narrowboat
- Write a book
- Try skiing
- Take the grandchildren to meet Father Christmas
- Hot air balloon ride
- Work on the family tree / track down long-lost family
- Go scuba diving or snorkelling
- Celebrate St. Patrick’s Day in Ireland
- Ride an elephant
- Sell something you have made yourself
- Go to a concert of a favourite band / singer
- Learn to paint / make pottery
- Volunteer for community or local school
- Eat at a Michelin starred restaurant
- Go cage diving with Great White sharks in South Africa
- Go back to education / join the University of the Third Age
- Take dancing lessons
- Try yoga or tai chi
Make your dreams a reality in retirement
Finding the funds to do everything you want in later life can be challenging, especially if you are having to adjust to a reduced income in retirement.
To find out how equity release could help you access a cash lump sum from the value of your home (without any need to sell or move home) speak to a member of the Bower team today.
You will be offered a FREE, no-obligation initial home consultation to find out more about equity release and discover if you qualify for a plan. Call us on free phone [tel].
Remember, equity release will reduce the value of your estate and the amount of the inheritance you leave, so it is vital you speak to an independent specialist in retirement lending such as Bower before making a decision.